The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), the leading national organization of board-certified plastic surgeons who specialize in cosmetic surgery, offers its predictions for cosmetic surgery in 2004.
* New, longer-lasting soft-tissue fillers for facial wrinkles and creases will challenge Botox for the number one spot among injectable cosmetic treatments.
* Downtime after surgery will be further reduced by advances in new products to accelerate wound healing.
* The number of total body lifts -- including torso, breasts and, for some patients, face and neck -- will increase, as post-bariatric surgery patients seek plastic surgery to rid themselves of the excess skin left hanging after massive weight loss.
* Wrinkle reduction without surgery or injections will improve with advances in scientifically-based topical skin treatments available through physicians' offices.
* More plastic surgeons will refer patients following aesthetic surgery to professionals in make-up, fashion, hair styling and cosmetic dentistry.
* Brow shaping will be the next "hot" cosmetic procedure for women, either surgically (lifting specific brow areas) or nonsurgically, with Botox.
* An increasing number of men will indulge in a regular routine of cosmetic skincare, including facials and light cosmetic procedures such as microdermabrasion, to achieve a healthy, revitalized look with no downtime.
* An improving economy, with higher consumer confidence, will mean more Americans willing to invest in their appearance by undergoing cosmetic surgical and nonsurgical procedures.
* Cosmetic procedures to rejuvenate the hands will grow in popularity, as youthful-looking hands increasingly are viewed as an essential counterpart to facial rejuvenation.
* Top celebrities, recognizing the growing social acceptance of plastic surgery, will be increasingly candid about their own cosmetic surgical enhancements.
Anthony Napoleon, the author of Awakening Beauty: An Illustrated Look at Mankind's Love and Hatred of Beauty, is a psychologist who has spent many years studying beauty and its impact upon both individuals and society. He has worked with both cosmetic surgery patients and beauty pageant contestants as well as conducting original research into the field. Awakening Beauty is an unprecedented exposé on the subject of beauty. It is both entertaining and thought provoking, a combination that is as unique as it is telling about the author's approach to the subject of this book. The reader is taken backstage into the worlds of beauty pageants, plastic surgery, trophy wives, murderous rage, wardrobe, makeup, Bill Clinton, the events of September Eleven and other provocative topics where beauty has had its effect. Awakening Beauty invites the reader into a world that is as interesting as it is frightening. Readers are transformed as the author shepherds them from their world into his unique perspective and expertise on beauty. Awakening Beauty includes over one hundred tantalizing photographs and illustrations. Awakening Beauty is a compendium of some of the most interesting facts in print. The subject matter of the book along with the author's unique approach to it makes this book a "must read." Get ready to re-think everything you thought you knew about beautiful women and physical attractiveness.